Being a successful franchisee means knowing how to effectively lead your team of employees. You need to be able to communicate your goals and vision and inspire your employees to action to make those goals and visions a reality. So, what does it take to be a good leader? Let’s take a look at the personality traits of highly effective leaders.
- Positive attitude. Highly effective leaders understand the psychological power of positivity and look at every situation as a learning opportunity. They rely on positive energy, not negativity, to lead their teams.
- Excellent communication skills. So many organizational problems and mistakes can be attributed to a lack of communication. Highly effective leaders recognize the importance of excellent communication and are able to skillfully communicate. They can always relay goals, ideas, and visions to their team. As excellent communicators, they are also able to keep their team aligned and working toward clear, coherent goals.
- Honest. Highly effective leaders are always honest. They tell the truth, even when the truth hurts. They know how to provide tough but fair criticism when necessary and are always honest with themselves when making tough decisions.
- Inspiring. Highly effective leaders are passionate about their business. They know how to inspire this passion in their employees and keep them motivated.
- Effective delegators. Highly effective leaders know which tasks to manage by themselves and which tasks to delegate. While they know how to lead employees, they never micromanage. They respect employees’ autonomy and independence and have faith in their capabilities, resisting the temptation to constantly nitpick and control.
- Good mentors. Effective leaders are good mentors. They encourage and help facilitate employee growth, ensuring team members gain valuable skills and become more productive, which in turn benefits the company. They give credit when credit is due in order to boost employee confidence and show appreciation for employees’ time and effort.
- Just. Highly effective leaders recognize that playing favorites with employees only demoralizes the rest of the team. They are always fair with their employees. They reward good work while offering honest critique of poor work.
- Encouraging. Highly effective leaders effectively engage with employees and know how to encourage good habits in their team. They always encourage employees, inspiring them to preform at the highest level possible.
Article by Jason Duncan, CEO/Founder of ManagerComplete.com. ManagerComplete is an online software application that helps multi-unit franchises manage operations effectively. Follow him on Twitter for latest updates.